Thursday, January 20, 2011

Five years already....


Seriously????

Five years have passed sense we embarked on being the unit known as "The Whipples"?

I am going to be cliche and say this, 'boy time sure does fly'... which is surprising because I feel like we have been waiting for our life as a family to get started... waiting for a job, waiting for a home, waiting for children. I had plans that I wanted to achieve before we reached five years. I certainly did not want to be where we are now. Learning to be patient has been an on-going thing with God and us. I am ok with it too... Daniel and I appreciate the good things more and have learned to support each other more because of it.

Funny how our plans differ from what God wants... and once you let God's plans become your own you really don't mind the places you end up. I certainly hadn't planned being five months pregnant, have a two year old, being a single vehicle family with a spouse that works a part time job and having multiple student loans and living in my aunts converted garage... but... it doesn't bother me... we are happy. We both now that God has more for us, so we keep waiting.

I feel that Daniel and I have changed so much in the last five years... not only as a couple, but as individuals as well. Funny though, after being married for five years I still feel not so grown-up... I wonder if that will ever change?

The biggest thing I have learned in the last five years is to turn to God first and my husband second. I had always checked in with my parents, my Aunts or my friends for support and advice... even after being married. I still seek out all of the above for help, advice and support... of course I don't count on Daniel for advice on fashion... he could care less... and my mom is the first person I go to for the how-to's of parenting (I don't know anyone that has more experience as her). It was just hard separating myself from one family unit and creating another...keeping the former unit in tact... and entering the in-law unit. So many new roles to fill. I learned it is possible to have three very different family units... and having working relationships with each. I like the fact that Daniel and I got to live with his parents shortly after we were married, and then we got to live with my parents after that.

Thinking back I have to say one of the hardest things to get used to as a married person is the fact that this other person is ALWAYS there. Always five feet away from you... you can't even sleep without this person breathing in your bubble. I went from sleeping next to a 15 pound cat to this human being that invades my sleep with snoring! ... and now, if that snoring human being isn't sleeping next to me I lay there awake, thinking the bogeyman is going to get me.

I praise God for the last five years of my life. They have brought many blessings to us!

2 comments:

  1. 5 years is an accomplishment! Boy, you sure have been through a lot in a little bit of time. Keep truckin girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 YEARS?! That is awesome! Congrats hon! BTW, I gave you a blog award. It's on my most recent post, if you want it. :)

    ReplyDelete