Monday, May 28, 2012

Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes



Just made the BEST cupcakes EVER...



I had help :)


I was looking for a fun recipe to use for Ana's first birthday. I found one on Pinterest. Tweaked it a bit... and what turned out was absolutely divine! I was really excited to use my Kitchen Aide Mixer. I had received it as a gift over a year ago... but our old home had no (none... not a single one) plug outlets in the kitchen. You can read about my Mixer of generosity here




Cupcake Ingredients:

1  strawberry cake mix
1 vanilla pudding mix
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/4 cup (4 Tbsp.) lemon juice
4 eggs 


Glaze Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup pureed strawberries (made from fresh or frozen strawberries)
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. vanilla
3-6 cups powdered sugar (adjust to achieve desired consistency)
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 tub cool-whip
Shreds of white chocolate candy bar

Don't mind the mess in the background. We are still unpacking

To Make Cupcakes:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. I don't use liners for the cupcake tins. I spray each cup with PAM. But you can use liners if you so choose. I will be using liners for Ana's actual birthday cupcakes. 


Add the cake mix, pudding mix, buttermilk, oil and lemon juice to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until moistened. Add eggs one at a time, until the batter is well-mixed. Increase speed to high and beat until fluffy and thick.


Pour or scoop the batter into cupcake tins. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove and cool.


This is my son, licking the powdered sugar from the table.

To Make glaze:

I had issues with the frosting/glaze. I followed the original recipe, but it wouldn't thicken up... so I added the cream cheese. When it still didn't thicken up I folded in the cool-whip and called it a "glaze".

Cream butter in an electric mixer on medium-speed until smooth and fluffy. Then add in the strawberries, vanilla and lemon juice, and mix on low-speed until combined. Gradually add in the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Blend in cream cheese. Fold in cool-whip. 



When cupcakes are cooled- pour glaze over the top. Top with shredded white chocolate. 



Take a bite... ENJOY! 



-EDIT: I remade these cupcakes... exactly the same way BUT changed how I made the frosting.
To make frosting:


3/4 cup butter, softened (This is where I messed up. I melted the butter thinking that "softened" meant "melted". I had melted the butter before, that is why I was unable to get the butter creamed into a smooth and fluffy consistency)
1/2 cup pureed strawberries (made from fresh or frozen strawberries)
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. vanilla
3-6 cups powdered sugar (adjust to achieve desired consistency)
1/2 cup cream cheese
Shreds of white chocolate candy bar


Cream butter in an electric mixer on medium-speed until smooth and fluffy. Then add in the strawberries, vanilla and lemon juice, and mix on low-speed until combined. Gradually add in the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Blend in cream cheese. Fold in cool-whip. 


Visit my post here for the outcome of my edit 



1 comment: