Wednesday, May 19, 2010

That kind of mom


There are so many things I don't want to do as a mother in raising my children! So many things I want to be able to promise and be responsible FOR doing! Being a preschool teacher I see all the in-justices parents do to their children... I always found myself saying "I WILL NEVER DO THAT!"

I don't want to be one of the moms that directs all the conversations and attention to my own child.

I will not leave my child with a babysitter or in childcare even though I have the day off and would like alone time (once in awhile is fine, sometimes moms just need a break)

I will not take my child to non child friendly restaurants

I don't want to be one of those moms that brings her kid sick to play dates and child care just to "get a break from that sickly whiny kid"

I don't want to be one of those moms that makes games fair for everyone... if he doesn't make the team then it is a good lesson to try harder.

I want to instill good manors into my son. So many young children have a tenancy to talk back and question directions. It is rude.

I want my son to be able to appreciate all forms of art.

I want my son to be feel free to get muddy and messy. The best kind of fun is when your covered head to toe in muck!


So many things I have already said "forget it" with...

I promised I wouldn't allow my child to watch more than 30 minutes of TV a day... but without the DVD player I would not be able to pee, do the dishes or have a conversation with my husband.

I never wanted my son to eat junk food or have a bottle STILL at 19 months... I figure it is better than him screaming at me for 2 hours straight because he wants Mac n Cheese... so I compromise... make mac n cheese but hide carrots and squash puree in it.

I will NEVER co-sleep with my child... but after 9 days of no sleep... sleep deprivation causes ill rational choices that leave lasting bad habits! 19 months later a few nights a week I find myself crowded out of a bed.

I will NEVER put my son on a leash... I bought one at Walmart for $6... I figured I would rather other parents comment on how horrible of a mother I am for putting a child on a leash, rather than other parents comment on how horrible a mother I am for loosing my child...

I suppose that being a mother means you have to be flexible... Not being able to commit to these things doesn't mean I am a horrible person... I find moms don't give themselves enough credit. There are worse things you could be doing to your child.

I figure if I love my son... unconditionally and support him as much as I can as a Godly Mother... and raise him up to be a man after Gods purpose and heart then I will do him justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment